Thursday, February 19, 2009

A week of South Africa: Day 2

My cousin Lesley and her best friend, Jamie, were the only people I knew on the trip. I had just come out of a spiritual awakening and when Lesley called and asked if I wanted to go to Africa on missions, I jumped at the chance. I had some money in savings and the rest was raised through the generosity of friends and family.
When we flew into Cape Town (our 4th connecting flight), we stayed in an old B&B called Klein Vredenburg in a small town called Paarl. Paarl is the third oldest European Settlement in South Africa (founded around 1650). We stayed in the guest house (old slave quarters) which were over looking one of the thousands of beautiful vineyards and the Klein Drakenstein mountains. It came complete with skeleton keys and door knobs that were at my knees. (It must have been those short Dutchman who settled there).
Africa 121
We ate breakfast in the main guest house everyday. It was the first place I had experienced French press coffee and warm milk.
Africa 004
Africa 009
Despite the jet lag the first thing we did when we got there was hike the mountains. What an incredible adventure. We were there in early June, which is South Africa's winter months. It definitely wasn't "cold" but it was rainy. Probably the perfect time of year for us Westerners to visit. The heat of the summer months would probably be too much for us.
Africa 118Africa 005
I don't really remember the stories behind the flowers but I do remember peering out over the mountains every morning feeling overwhelmed with the beauty of God's creation.

"The heavens declare the glory of God; the sky displays his handiwork. Day after day it speaks out; night after night it reveals his greatness."

Psalm 19:1-2

No comments: